Have you heard the news? Jenna Lyons is leaving J. Crew after 26 years. I am sad. Not like, “I must frame all of my favorite J. Crew pieces in a glass case so I can sell them on eBay one day,” but rather, I’m slightly excited for what’s to come. Let’s be real—J. Lyons set the standard for what all of us could expect from J. Crew. I acutely remember when I was 10 and browsing through their catalog, mentally picking out my favorite shade from their candy-colored collection of cashmere sweaters, thinking to myself, “I can’t wait until I’m older so I can buy one.” I’m probably disappointing my 10-year-old self by instead buying a cargo jacket that I’ll wear until it fades and toothpick jeans (which are the perfect median between skinny and straight).
I’m going to miss that classic (to me) that Jenna brought to the brand, from pairing tulle skirts with a chambray shirt to normalizing fuschia pink as a completely acceptable color to wear to the office, she really did wonders on J. Crew. Plus, let’s not forget the multiple times that Michelle Obama wore J. Crew. Talk about America’s brand.
Here are my current favorites from J. Crew’s spring collection:
1. Cold-shoulder top: I’ve been told that my rosy-pink/translucent skin tone really pops in poppy red. Plus, cold-shoulder tops are trending for spring.
2. Slim boyfriend jeans: Get you a new pair of light wash jeans this spring. A loose, but flattering fit like a boyfriend jean might even extend into fall.
3. Galaxy hoop earrings: Hoop earrings are my new spirit animal and I’m ready to step up my hoop game with a more avant-garde pair.
4. Lace-up popover top: I don’t know if it’s a good or bad thing if people start to think of you when they see a striped shirt. I’m going to go with the notion that it’s a good thing, so I want to lace-up and go in this popover top.
5. Ruffle hem midi-dress: The minute I saw the red floral dress I was all *drool emoji*. Knowing my predictable dressing habits, I would probably wear this with tan heels and my favorite cargo jacket.
6. Seer-sucker jumpsuit: I’m a sucker for stripes and jumpsuits (and really anything I can wear a straw fedora with).
7. Signet bag in calf hair: I just want to live a pressure-free life and head out the door in a t-shirt, jeans and a bold bag.
8. Lace-up suede sandals: See what I said about tan sandals? It’ll never end.