To usher in the first day of summer, I whipped up a batch of summer fruit muffins to celebrate the day. And have something to eat for breakfast. I used fresh strawberries and white “Ice Princess” peaches that were perfectly ripe and ready to be eaten. These muffins are going to be the perfect start to my day this week, I can’t wait to enjoy them with a cup of piping hot coffee!
Summer Fruit Muffins
Ingredients (makes 6)
1 1/4 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup diced strawberries
1 ripe peach (should be soft)
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1 tbsp. sour cream or Greek Yogurt
Pinch of Kosher salt
6 tbsp. unsalted butter, room temperature
2 large eggs, room temperature
1. Set oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and grease muffin tin with butter or baking spray.
2. In a large bowl combine the room temperature butter and sugar. With an electric mixer with the paddle attachment at medium speed, whip until smooth. Stir in eggs and sour cream or greek yogurt.
3. In a separate bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir to combine and then fold in the diced fruit.
4. Gradually stir in the flour and fruit mixture into the butter and egg mixture. Resulting dough should be able to slowly drip off of a spoon.
5. Scoop enough mixture into the muffin tin so that it’s just to the top (I like to use an ice cream scooper, it takes about 2 scoops to fill).
6. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Enjoy!