What’d you do this weekend? I spent all weekend at home, curled up on my couch, watching Aziz Ansari’s Netflix series, Master of None, and eating this soup in an attempt to kick a chest cold that has slowly been creeping in. After whining to my parents about how crappy I felt, they suggested that I whip up some homemade chicken soup. My mom swears by her garlic, lemongrass, and ginger soup concoction so I mustered up enough energy to whip up some homemade stock, with a little improvisation to my mom’s sick-time staple.
By the time you read this, I’m hoping I’ll be fever-less and halfway through The Walking Dead.
Spicy Lemongrass Chicken Noodle Soup
3-4 pieces of bone-on and skin-on chicken thighs and legs
8 cups water
1 stalk lemongrass, chopped into 4-inch long pieces
1 1-inch chunk of peeled ginger, sliced into quarter sized pieces
4 cloves garlic, sliced
2 tsp. sesame oil
3 tsp. cracked red pepper
2 tbsp. fish sauce
1 cup fresh cilantro
3 cups egg free noodles (I used The Phoenix Pastificio from the Berkeley Farmers Market)
1/4 cup lime juice
1. In a large and heavy pot (I used my dutch oven), heat the oil, ginger, garlic, lemongrass, and cracked red pepper on medium heat. Place chicken in the pot after 5 minutes, then pour in the water to make the stock.
2. Allow the stock to simmer on low heat for 2-3 hours, uncovered.
3. Once the stock has simmered and slightly reduced and the flavors have blended together, pull the chicken out of the stock and set aside to cool. Skim the fat off of the stock and remove the ginger, garlic, and lemongrass.
4. In a separate pot, bring slightly salted water to a boil and cook the noodles. Once cooked, strain out the hot water and rinse the noodles with cold water to prevent them from cooking further.
5. Once the chicken has cooled, slice into smaller strips and place back into the stock. Add in the lime juice, cilantro, fish sauce and more cracked red pepper. Return the stock to a low simmer for 10 more minutes.
6. Once you’re ready to serve, mix in noodles and a couple of lime slices. Enjoy!